What's new

America can't be indifferent to the snuffing out of democracy in Pakistan

Mirzali Khan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
by Dan Hannan, Contributor

A couple of weeks ago, I organized a Zoom meeting for British Conservative members of Parliament to talk to Imran Khan, the former prime minister of Pakistan, who is now under house arrest. A few minutes before the meeting began, the authorities got wind of what we were doing and cut off all communications to his compound.

It was a small thing (trivial, really, given what is going on in Pakistan), but it served to remind us of what a country looks like without the rule of law. The people in charge get to make up the rules as they go along.

Khan, one of the greatest cricketers in history, was elected in 2018 on his third attempt. He had done something extraordinary in a Pakistani context, building a political movement up from the ground up rather than making alliances with local potentates. He inherited a dire economic situation, but played the hand he had been dealt deftly. Pakistan was doing well before the pandemic — although all that has gone into reverse now.

In April 2022, Khan became the latest in a succession of civilian leaders to be removed by Pakistan’s generals. Rumor has it that the top brass had become nervous about his anti-corruption rhetoric. Whatever the explanation, a confidence vote was manufactured, and an alternative coalition was put in place.

Past coups have had a measure of public support in Pakistan. Not this time. Two-thirds of Pakistanis are under the age of 45, and they are having none of it. It immediately became clear that Khan would win any future election with a landslide — at which point, the iron fist emerged from the velvet glove. First, there was an attempt on Khan’s life. Then absurd charges began to be leveled. When the authorities tried to arrest him, his supporters took to the streets.

Since then, the country has descended into what can only be called martial law. Thousands of Khan’s party members have been seized without due process. Around 80 of his party’s leading figures renounced their membership following threats against their families. Critical journalists have been silenced. Khan himself will almost certainly be disqualified from fighting the next election, either through imprisonment or murder.

The indifference of the West is baffling. The Biden administration makes a big deal of what it calls the Presidential Initiative for Democratic Renewal. In recent weeks, it has imposed sanctions on individuals whom it blames for undermining elections in Nigeria, Bangladesh, and Sudan. But Pakistan? Not a word.

Nor is it just the politicians. When female protesters are beaten by the police in Iran, it is front-page news. When the same thing happens in Pakistan, it is largely ignored.

There are around 650,000 Americans of Pakistani origin and around 1.5 million Brits. My guess is that 80% of both groups are sympathetic to Khan and that 95% worry about the rule of law in Pakistan. On Thursday, Islamabad declared that the diaspora, too, would face prosecution if its members were “found to be involved in instigation, glorification and support” of the protesters.

I suspect the silence is because, both in the United States and in the United Kingdom, the authorities want a working relationship with the real rulers of Pakistan, namely its generals. The military has run that country uninterruptedly since 1958, sometimes stepping in directly, more usually working through favored civilians.

Pakistan’s relationship with its men in uniform is, in some ways, understandable. The country was born in violence and has fought three-and-a-half wars against its much larger Indian neighbor. Pakistani soldiers, many of them graduates of Britain’s officer school at Sandhurst, are impressive professionals. No doubt they have discreetly indicated to their British and American opposite numbers that they regret Khan’s withdrawal from the war on terror. But however good they are as soldiers, they are not fitted to be politicians.

The armed forces (“the boys,” as middle-class Pakistanis sometimes call them) have become economic players, owning businesses and factories that employ veterans on their retirement. They will go to almost any lengths to protect those interests — other than renouncing their commissions and standing for election.

There is no such thing as a good military regime. Whatever the motives of the generals when they start, saving the country from chaos or communism or jihadism, they always end up running kleptocracies.

This, in the end, is what is at stake in Pakistan. Democracy is one of the last things preventing that country from being drawn wholly into China’s orbit. If Pakistan carries on removing popular politicians, the cause of freedom will be set back worldwide. Good news for Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping, terrible news for the rest of us.

@Maula Jatt @PakSarZameen47 @Menace2Society @Pakstallion @Vapnope @Areesh @DESERT FIGHTER @Desert Fox 1 @N.Siddiqui @Norwegian @TNT @Imad.Khan @Dalit @ziaulislam @EternalMortal @lastofthepatriots @WarKa DaNG @Warking @Talwar e Pakistan @WinterFangs @kingQamaR @Menace2Society @Indus Pakistan @Ghazwa-e-Hind @Norwegian @PakFactor @akramishaqkhan @Zornix @pakpride00090 @Abid123 @Goritoes @SecularNationalist @PakistaniandProud @PAKISTANFOREVER @Dual Wielder @Great Janjua @ahaider97 @PakFactor @Sayfullah @SaadH @villageidiot @Olympus81@Mobius 1 @General Dong @Genghis khan1@alphapak @RealNapster @Kharral @Mobius 1@Goenitz @Muhammad Saftain Anjum @AA_ @Mobius 1 @Great Janjua @The Accountant @PakSword @villageidiot @Kharral @SaadH @Goenitz @PakFactor @Tamerlane @ARMalik @Khan_21 @Yousafzai_M @NaqsheYaar @NooriNuth @SaadH @Kharral @AA_ @SaadH @Tamerlane @villageidiot @waz @PakSword @Mugen @Tamerlane @PakAlp @HerbertPervert @Path-Finder @Tamerlane @Drexluddin Khan Spiveyzai @AlKardai @waz @Areesh @hatehs @Path-Finder @HerbertPervert @Dr. Strangelove @Sayfullah @Clutch

democracy is the biggest scam in modern history
I won't call it a scam, but if 21st century has shown us anything, it may be wholly unsatisfactory for some nations. Blindly evangelizing democracy everywhere is like telling everyone should become Christian or Buddhist to go to heaven.

Democracy works in societies where people care about individual rights and freedom. It requires people to question and think for themselves rather than being dictated what to think.

Democracy works in societies where people care about individual rights and freedom. It requires people to question and think for themselves rather than being dictated what to think.
or in urdu: "bashaoor" people

Opinion pieces like these are non-consequential. The OSP's are just as powerless in shifting the policy trajectory in their adopted lands as much as IK is powerless in the face of overwhelming control of the establishment in all matters of governance and economy of Pakistan. IK's only salvation is in becoming an all out martyr. There is no other recourse, in fact the time may have passed for him. He will eventually be resigned to obscurity and Pakistan masses will be over him in the next few years, preferring to live under perpetual tyranny with ever shrinking democratic rights, than to have fought and wrestled those rights back from their colonial holdout tormentors.

If Pakistan carries on removing popular politicians, the cause of freedom will be set back worldwide. Good news for Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping, terrible news for the rest of us.

Pakistan should fund education sector in the United States. It's in a dire strait

It’s better suited for the Western world, not the Eastern world.

Democracy is as much eastern in theology as it is western. Rise of Trump in the West and of Modi in the East are prime examples of societies failing to grasp the concept of democracy.

It’s better suited for the Western world, not the Eastern world.
Maybe those orientalists were onto something. :D

Forgive my ignorance, but it seems the global East has very little contribution to human civilization, esp disproportionate considering how much of humanity lives in the East (don't give me "the Chinese invented paper").

BTW, when I say that, I include Islam in "Western Civilization", not eastern. Islamic caliphates were the intellectual successors of the Roman empire and the predecessors of renaissance Europe.

Watch this when you have time. It's long and starts slow but it's definitely worth watching if you want to understand why I am saying the above.

The point made in the video is, Islam was part of Western Civilization and that PolSci courses in the West are essentially saying "Western Civilization = Christian civilization" and completely ignore the Islamic worlds' contribution to western civilization. He says, PolSci should start with the advent of settled societies and govts, which he says are first recorded around 6th millennium BC. But those 6 millenia are glanced over in a first two of the 15 weeks of the semester. The rest is all about equating Western Civilization to Judeo-christian civilization. And the misleading term, "Dark Ages" is used to indicate the western civilization's darkest period was after the Fall of Rome in 476 AD, when the Roman empire never really fell. It shifted it's capital to it's eastern wing in Constantiople. And that the torch was carried forward by muslims until the renaissance, something that is completely ignored and "Dark ages" myth is peddled.

@_NOBODY_ @Joe Shearer @M. Sarmad @RescueRanger @Jango , @Ssan @HerbertPervert
thoughts?

Maybe those orientalists were onto something. :D

Forgive my ignorance, but it seems the global East has very little contribution to human civilization, esp disproportionate considering how much of humanity lives in the East (don't give me "the Chinese invented paper").

BTW, when I say that, I include Islam in "Western Civilization", not eastern. Islamic caliphates were the intellectual successors of the Roman empire and the predecessors of renaissance Europe.

Watch this when you have time. It's long and starts slow but it's definitely worth watching if you want to understand why I am saying the above.

The point made in the video is, Islam was part of Western Civilization and that PolSci courses in the West are essentially saying "Western Civilization = Christian civilization" and completely ignore the Islamic worlds' contribution to western civilization. He says, PolSci should start with the advent of settled societies and govts, which he says are first recorded around 6th millennium BC. But those 6 millenia are glanced over in a first two of the 15 weeks of the semester. The rest is all about equating Western Civilization to Judeo-christian civilization. And the misleading term, "Dark Ages" is used to indicate the western civilization's darkest period was after the Fall of Rome in 476 AD, when the Roman empire never really fell. It shifted it's capital to it's eastern wing in Constantiople. And that the torch was carried forward by muslims until the renaissance, something that is completely ignored and "Dark ages" myth is peddled.

@_NOBODY_ @Joe Shearer @M. Sarmad @RescueRanger @Jango , @Ssan @HerbertPervert
thoughts?
Personally, I am well aware of these distortions; bits of trivia floated across my mind as I watched this, for instance, the possible connection of English common law with Sharia, that started when the Plantagenets sent clerics to study judicial systems in de Hauteville Sicily (an island that had been under African rule for some time, hence inherited Sharia). It is positively boring to talk about philosophy, and the transmission of Hellenistic thought systems to European Christian systems through the Arabs.
That is between western Europe and the Hellenistic world, a world that was intellectually inherited by the Arabs, or rather, by the larger civilisation around the Arab conquests (not quite the same thing).
The other matter you raised, with great daring and courage, not entirely wise daring and courage, was the greater contribution of the 'Western Civilisation', meaning, more or less, Europe plus the Hellenist world, compared to the east. I can only laugh helplessly. Should I go into rant mode? Should I remind everybody that the seminal role of the Arab culture, that larger civilisation around the conquests, was the role of a bridge TO Western Civilisation. Guess what was the other side of the bridge. It was only in Meiji Japan that Japan got its act together. China took until the middle of the 20th century, while India still has to focus.
This will be the Asian Century (not, as some very mistakenly think, the Chinese Century), and it remains to be seen how far it will take mankind.
If 'Eastern Civilisation' failed, it was during the period, in India/South Asia, of the Mughals, from the mid-15th century to the mid-19th century. During this period, Europe (not the broader Western Civilisation, but just Europe) simply ran rings around the rest of the world. Much of modern human civilisation is based on the science, technology and military capacity of those four centuries.

Sharif family is good friends with Indian influential figures and they are lobbying for Sharif's abroad.
We are also lobbying, but the higher up are listening more to Indians.
Specially in UK where the PM is Indian and his wife has BJP links.

For a time, Arabs and Persians were intellectual partners, sparking the 'golden age of Islam'.
Indeed.

At that time, it was impossible - actually, beyond impossible, it was irrelevant - to seek out the ethnicity of the entire creative matrix. It was one of the unique moments in human cultural history.

However, I beg to remind you that it was not the only one.

democracy is the biggest scam in modern history

What is democracy? The people rule themselves lol, as if that can ever be allowed. In the western world the hidden powerful forces use billions a year to fund a particular mindset, they use education, propaganda, lies, media to propagate their messages and the people somehow believe they are free. The people have no power to challenge the ruling elite, change education system, foreign and internal policies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom