What's new

More than 50000 dead, many trapped as major earthquake strikes Turkiye, Syria,..,.

Satellite imagery providers in Turkiye have started to update maps. Satellite images of Kahramanmaraş, the epicenter of the earthquake, will be completed in a few days. You can follow the link below.

This is simply appalling to say the least.. there is NO proper implementation of building and construction CODE and REGULATION in the law in Turkiye...

It's appalling to see, every regular JOE and HARRY can become a construction CONTRACTOR without any proper training and without any VALID educational background.

What's happening right now is, they are all playing the "shift the blame to the other" game in Turkiye right now.

Here where i live, in Australia.. they have a massive CODE and REGULATION in the construction sector, called the Building Act, and every new construction that is done, must be in tangent with this law and regulation, otherwise the building can not be authorised upon completion.

We as Turks need a change of mentality.. otherwise if we stick with the curren 3rd world mentality, nothing will improve.

There was a close to 9 richter scale earth quake in Japan a decade ago, and only 665 people died from this.. we need to adopt the mindset of the Japanese if we ought to improve life standards in Turkiye. Having laclasture performance and minset in improving the engineering of buildings will have us another earthquake that take the lives of another couple hundred thousand.

We as Turks need a change of mentality.. otherwise if we stick with the curren 3rd world mentality, nothing will improve.

There was a close to 9 richter scale earth quake in Japan a decade ago, and only 665 people died from this.. we need to adopt the mindset of the Japanese if we ought to improve life standards in Turkiye. Having laclasture performance and minset in improving the engineering of buildings will have us another earthquake that take the lives of another couple hundred thousand.
If I said all that,I would have been called "insensisitive" and "provoking".

But since you mentioned Japan,I was looking at this video a few days ago:

Everybody needs to watch that. Especially the guy at 0:50

Now when it comes to Turkey,I saw a lot of people,rescuers and Turkish locals,talking about how bad the quality was. Many said "it's just sand,there's no cement! There are not enough steel rods!"

I saw a building that had no wall on one side! The constructor used the wall of the building next to it,instead of using a seperate wall for his own building!

I saw many talking about how a lot of buildings were as if they were made of sand.

And of course...there was also this video,which the Turkish members can translate:

The "construction amnesties" in Kahramanmaras in 2019

33 thousand wtff, I didn't know the damage was this serious

The number of people who lost their lives in disaster areas across Turkiye is 38.044. While the number of injured people increased to 108.068, 216.347 earthquake victims were evacuated from the region to other provinces. On the Syrian side, it is impossible to know the exact figures for now, as the earthquake had the most devastating impact in areas not under government control.

33K ? :eek:

im so sorry

shudder to think what might happen to a poor country with bad infra etc if such a disaster strikes there/here

:(

33K ? :eek:

im so sorry

shudder to think what might happen to a poor country with bad infra etc if such a disaster strikes there/here

:(
in pakistan whole city would collapse, definitely much worse construction standards than turkey

Two major earthquakes with a magnitude of 7.8 and 7.7 occurred in the same place, one after the other. These earthquakes took place 9 hours apart. This was something very rare.

While the expected earthquake acceleration in the construction regulations on the construction of buildings against earthquakes was 0.5 G, the actual acceleration was between 1.7 G - 2 G. So even if the buildings were in compliance with the regulations, they could be demolished. In fact, only about 2% of new buildings were destroyed. The rest were 50-70 years old buildings built before these regulations.

There is nothing more natural than such a devastating earthquake, these earthquakes. There are two main issues that annoy me. 1- Nothing to be done against the Istanbul earthquake, which is definitely known to happen. 2- The government's incompetence in post-earthquake rescue activities.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom