What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation Inducts Ten Sea king Helicopters

FB_IMG_1643039633989.jpg

Congrats , wonderful news Helicopters looks in very good exterior condition
Hopefully we would get spares for engines and parts

Helps with rescue missions at sea or other Missions as necessary

For 700 km Coast Line we do need a slightly bigger fleet but good induction

The size of helicopter and power of the machine makes it ideal chopper on Sea Missions

Last edited:
Excellent addition with low flying hours.

Now it would be possible to form a new squadron with 2 flights one each operating from Ormara & Gwadar.

If necessary more used Sea Kings can be bought.

Happy for the PNS Turghil and Sea king induction. As the officer has said, Pak Navy now packs an offensive punch. Hopefully we can get a tomahawk like cruise missile installed in the frigate. That will be an awesome thing.

The PN's smartly leveraging the infrastructure they already have to quickly add a necessary multirole naval helicopter. I'd be interested in seeing how (if at all) the Sea Kings will interoperate with the Tughril-class (054A/P) frigates. Or if a Z-9-variant is still on the cards for the latter.

In any case, due to the high-cost, high-complexity nature of AShW & ASW helicopters, it'll be a long time before the Sea Kings are totally gone. Even if the PN inducts a new helicopter (which it will IMO), it'll buy those in small incremental batches. Your naval AW101 or NH-90 costs $100+ m per unit. It wouldn't surprise me if the PN times such a purchase around the time UK, Italy, etc, start retiring their older units (i.e. new + old aircraft).

Personally, I think one area they might fast-track is helicopter-based AEW. It's starting to seem like a need given the growth of surface assets and the packed pipeline.

The PN's smartly leveraging the infrastructure they already have to quickly add a necessary multirole naval helicopter. I'd be interested in seeing how (if at all) the Sea Kings will interoperate with the Tughril-class (054A/P) frigates. Or if a Z-9-variant is still on the cards for the latter.

In any case, due to the high-cost, high-complexity nature of AShW & ASW helicopters, it'll be a long time before the Sea Kings are totally gone. Even if the PN inducts a new helicopter (which it will IMO), it'll buy those in small incremental batches. Your naval AW101 or NH-90 costs $100+ m per unit. It wouldn't surprise me if the PN times such a purchase around the time UK, Italy, etc, start retiring their older units (i.e. new + old aircraft).

Personally, I think one area they might fast-track is helicopter-based AEW. It's starting to seem like a need given the growth of surface assets and the packed pipeline.
Only two countries, UK and Russia manufacture those and they are not widely exported. Unless there was a heli-carrier in PN I don't see the requirement for an AEW chopper and most of our ships will still be able to operate within the umbrella provided by K-3Es

Only two countries, UK and Russia manufacture those and they are not widely exported. Unless there was a heli-carrier in PN I don't see the requirement for an AEW chopper and most of our ships will still be able to operate within the umbrella provided by K-3Es
Well since you said it on this magical forum...

WTF, UK scrapped Sea King project has the helicopters kept crashing and were too expensive to maintain and no they have dumped it on Pakistan, I wonder how much bribes were paid to buy this junk.
uk scraps everything
they even scraped c130!
they even scraped chinooks
all that is junk too
and noo they aren’t any bribs involved
they are gifts
and they pack a punch
i have been to one of these hellis
they are with PN since 70,s
m sure they know whts in it

Why have the PN kept the existing colour scheme on the Qatari and UK Sea Kings? Is it down to cost?

Basically now PN air arm has 13 sea king that can do anti sub and anti surface role in addition to SAR and utility transport. Few years ago it was just 6 ... A definite many fold increase in offensive punch. Plus 6 sea king for air assault. A definite good increase from zero to 6.

Basically now PN air arm has 13 sea king that can do anti sub and anti surface role in addition to SAR and utility transport. Few years ago it was just 6 ... A definite many fold increase in offensive punch. Plus 6 sea king for air assault. A definite good increase from zero to 6.
6 plus 10 should be 16 in total then why now total in 13?

Why have the PN kept the existing colour scheme on the Qatari and UK Sea Kings? Is it down to cost?
The re-painting is done when the helis go in for overhaul. Why would PN take helis out of service just to re-paint them which is a cosmetic issue? Its a different case when you get new assets and you can get them in the scheme you desire. As a taxpayer, one should be happy that such cosmetic things are not done out of cycle.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom