What's new

Slave-trade of Chitral in 19th century

'Kafirs' were present-day Nuristanis

The Kho people of Chitral (whose language is called Khowar) were Muslims. They were selling their children into slavery out of their own will unlike Kafirs who were captured in raids. It was major source of revenue generation for Mehtr of Chitral. Even today , a very large number of Chitralis marry off their girls to men from far flung areas of Pakistan (particularly Punjab) in exchange of money (some say they are trafficked). Its a major issue in Chitral, according to reports only 10 % of marriages of Chitrali girls with outsiders are genuine.

[URL='https://tribune.com.pk/story/357246/alarming-trend-chitrali-women-trafficked-forced-into-prostitution/']Chitrali women trafficked, forced into prostitution - The Express Tribune
[/URL]
https://www.dawn.com/news/704893
https://www.dawn.com/news/704893
Chitralis are now not selling their daughter you moron.[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] Thats called bride price. Will you sell your child?? Chitrali culture is very different from the culture of the plains. Some poor families marry their daughters outside Chitral and have bought us a bad name.

Another thing is in the old days Chitralis never sold their Children on their own free will. The ruler forcefully sold off the Shia Chitralis (ruling class being sunni who consideres shia as infidel) for their crimes as a punishment. Sunni were exempted from exempted from servile bondage and slavery.

So was the ruler of Chitral a native Chitrali or Pashtun or Turk?

Wikipedia has this:

Who were the slavers of this slave market of Chitral? Their own tribal leaders or people of other tribes?

Picture of supposedly present ceremonial Mehtr of Chitral royal family:
H.H._Fateh-ul-Mulk%2C_Mehtar_of_Chitral.jpg

Why is that guy in picture is wearing Turkish hat and people behind him are wearing the kind of hat pashtuns wear.?
They slavers were also Chitralis.

They dont have any medieval recorded sources , so their Mehtrs' claim of descent from Timur should be taken with a grain of salt. Also Europeans mistranslated Sikandar-i-Zulqarnain into Alexander the great. There is a 16th century Pashtun source Tazkirat-ul-Abrar, which says that people of Pich, Kunar, Laghman and Badakhshan claim descent from Sikandar-i-Zulqarnain, the Persian Achaemenid king (identified as Cyrus the great). Europeans heard legends about Sikandar from the mouths of the villagers of these areas and assumed they were talking about Alexander the Macedonian.

The cap they are wearing, is called Chitrali cap. Pashtuns call it Pakol. It is worn by all ethnicities of Hindu kush range.
Only genetics can prove that.

Chitralis are now not selling their daughter you moron.[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] Thats called bride price. Will you sell your child?? Chitrali culture is very different from the culture of the plains. Some poor families marry their daughters outside Chitral and have bought us a bad name.

Another thing is in the old days Chitralis never sold their Children on their own free will. The ruler forcefully sold off the Shia Chitralis (ruling class being sunni who consideres shia as infidel) for their crimes as a punishment. Sunni were exempted from exempted from servile bondage and slavery.

You are quite right Sir,

Bride price / Dower are the money / goods / services paid by the groom to bride or bride's parents whereas ‘Dowry’ is what the bride brings with her.

Dower has been the norm in Africa, American Indians, and Middle East and in Iran /Afghanistan since the dawn of history. In the Bible it is mentioned that Hazrat Yaqub on seeing Rachel fell madly in love with Rachel at first sight. Her father Laban who was also maternal uncle of Hazrat Yaqub said that he had to marry the elder sister Leah first and the bride price was 7 years work for Laban. Hazrat Yaqub worked for 7 years in Laban’s service for Leah and for another 7 years for Rachel.

The Code of Hammrabi mentions bride price in various laws as an established custom. I personally know of an Iranian friend who recently paid 500 gold coins as bride price for his son’s wedding to a girl from Isfahan. I was told by an Arab colleague from Fujairah that poor families are sometime obliged to marry their daughter and use the Dower thus received to pay for the bride for the son.

My point is that paying the Mehar / Dower for your bride is common place among the Muslims. However, in the Hindu culture we hear the stories that the king offered his daughter in marriage along with half of his kingdom! Understand some orthodox Hindus decline to eat the food at their daughters’ house unless they pay for it.

Since the culture of the subcontinent Muslims has been strongly influenced by Hindu culture, asking for the bride price is considered same as selling the daughter and hence shameful. I have attended wedding where the Mehar is set very little and called per Sharia. Even there is no set amount in the Sharia for Mehar.

Every young man wants to have a pretty wife ( I also had a crush on Madhubala in my teens) therefore there is absolutely no harm in paying the bride price if that is the condition for marrying your heart’s desire. Many unscrupulous persons take advantage of this and marry the girls for the sole purpose of using them as money making machines once the girl is in their power. In the 1960’s there were cases where people went to East Pakistan to wed a Bengali girl, but after return to Karachi, forced her to work as prostitute.

The guilt is not with the culture, nor of the parents of the girl but of poverty because there is one mouth less to feed and of the callous & unscrupulous person who pays the bride price ostensibly to marry the girl but in fact exploits her beauty by forcing her to work as prostitute.

Since the culture of the subcontinent Muslims has been strongly influenced by Hindu culture, asking for the bride price is considered same as selling the daughter and hence shameful. I have attended wedding where the Mehar is set very little and called per Sharia. Even there is no set amount in the Sharia for Mehar.
What Chitrali parents are doing, is straight forward selling. The money paid in cash is given to the girl's parents who consume it. On the other hand Islamic Mehr is for bride which is paid to her in case of divorce , while Pashtun Mehr in the form of zar is directly given to bride in advance and she keeps it as her personal property.

What Chitrali parents are doing, is straight forward selling. The money paid in cash is given to the girl's parents who consume it. On the other hand Islamic Mehr is for bride which is paid to her in case of divorce , while Pashtun Mehr in the form of zar is directly given to bride in advance and she keeps it as her personal property.

Islamic Mehar can be asked in advance. I personally know of a Kuwaiti who went to Iraq, paid 1000 Dinars as Dower to wed a bride because he could not afford to pay for a Kuwaiti wife. There was another case which came in the papers because a Kuwaiti paid his Maher by cheque which later bounced but in the meantime the marriage had been consummated!

Later it was explained to me that Dower/ Mehar can paid in advance, half in advance and half deferred, all on demand or all deferred. Marriage is a contract between a Muslim adult man and women and the terms of the contract are negotiated. Many Kuwaiti parents insist on the condition that their daughter will not do house work and a maid must be provide.

Kalasha, Nuristanis etc have zilch to do with Alexander. It's a myth spread by foreigners and some locals alike, look at the DNA tests done on them and you will see. They are remnants of an older wave of people.

Correct. The Indo-Aryans appeared in the region during the 17th century BCE, which is Bronze Age.

Alexander invaded in 3rd century BCE, which is well into the Iron Age.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom