What's new

Top Gun: Maverick was incredible!

Amen to that! The soundtrack alone from the original beats anything the new film offers. I mean Berlin v Lady Gaga hahaha.
For me, TG:M is just as good as TG.

TG has the 'shock' factor. Prior to TG, we have 'The Final Countdown' which put the US Navy, and the F-14, into a too large storyline, ie time travel, historical paradoxes, etc. With TG, the scale of the story is smaller and more localized, the result was that the US Navy and the F-14 got star billing.

TG:M does not have that 'shock' factor but does have the maturity factor. Everything about the movie says sophistication, from the technical aspects of the flying to character development. The audience expects that sophistication and TG:M delivered.

But TG does have one edge: Berlin 'Take My Breath Away'. I saw TG:M and expected something similar but was disappointed, and so did many of my friends, civilian and military.

TG has the 'shock' factor. Prior to TG, we have 'The Final Countdown' which put the US Navy, and the F-14, into a too large storyline, ie time travel, historical paradoxes, etc. With TG, the scale of the story is smaller and more localized, the result was that the US Navy and the F-14 got star billing.

TG:M does not have that 'shock' factor but does have the maturity factor. Everything about the movie says sophistication, from the technical aspects of the flying to character development. The audience expects that sophistication and TG:M delivered.

But TG does have one edge: Berlin 'Take My Breath Away'. I saw TG:M and expected something similar but was disappointed, and so did many of my friends, civilian and military.

Oh man you disappoint me Gambi considering you're from the 80's generation the years I grew up. Personal bias aside I would have thought the 'cold war' scenarios were all localised. I mean everyone knew that if things went to far the ICBM launches would start, hence the original had the right idea of a limited skirmish.

The sequel has great flying but the character development lacks, something the critics also focussed on. The film lacked the polished performances from the elder mentors played by Tom Skerritt ( Mike "Viper" Metcalf ) who did four years in the USAF and Michael Ironside (commander Rick "Jester" Heatherly).

Glad you agreed with the soundtrack, it was more than just Berlin or Kenny with Dangerzone.
You had;

Stevie Steve on the guitar;

Cheap Tricks 'Mighty Wings'

I know they did the cover to this;

Kenny at it again with 'Playing with the Boys'.

86 was just a killer year for music and films oh man....

Oh man you disappoint me Gambi considering you're from the 80's generation the years I grew up. Personal bias aside I would have thought the 'cold war' scenarios were all localised. I mean everyone knew that if things went to far the ICBM launches would start, hence the original had the right idea of a limited skirmish.

The sequel has great flying but the character development lacks, something the critics also focussed on. The film lacked the polished performances from the elder mentors played by Tom Skerritt ( Mike "Viper" Metcalf ) who did four years in the USAF and Michael Ironside (commander Rick "Jester" Heatherly).

Glad you agreed with the soundtrack, it was more than just Berlin or Kenny with Dangerzone.
You had;

Stevie Steve on the guitar;

Cheap Tricks 'Mighty Wings'

I know they did the cover to this;

Kenny at it again with 'Playing with the Boys'.

86 was just a killer year for music and films oh man....
I was only 3 in 1986 but I remember the late '80s(and early '90s in Greece were a bit like '80s). It's as if culture in general,declined after the early 2000s. To the point where music,movies,language,
fashion,gaming and even politics are trash.

Btw waz,can you please check my thread at the member's club? Irrelevant,but since there are no pms on the forum 😂

I was only 3 in 1986 but I remember the late '80s(and early '90s in Greece were a bit like '80s). It's as if culture in general,declined after the early 2000s. To the point where music,movies,language,
fashion,gaming and even politics are trash.

Btw waz,can you please check my thread at the member's club? Irrelevant,but since there are no pms on the forum 😂
Yep the 80's were just joy, the 90's held it together for a while at least till the mid-90's with great music and films. The millennium took a turn for the worst and it's been low quality since. The artists got old, screen writers past away etc.
I'll check your thread out,.

Yep the 80's were just joy, the 90's held it together for a while at least till the mid-90's with great music and films. The millennium took a turn for the worst and it's been low quality since. The artists got old, screen writers past away etc.
And let's not forget that Top Gun increased Ray Ban sales and Navy recruitment went sky-high in the U.S. after the movie became a hit.

Young men just wanted to join the Navy and Air Force.

Question: Do they use Super Hornets in the sequel? Did they show the old F-14 Tomcat even a bit?

Nothing uplifts like an 70-80’s rock ballad

You want more accurate stuff watch “Flight of the Intruder”

The title of the film is 'Maverick', or more precise, more Maverick this time than the previous. In perspective, a TG sequel cannot be anything else but about Maverick.

We debated this over pizzas, beers, and bourbon. I suspects that Cruise feel a more personal attachment to the Maverick character than his other films, including the IMF series, then he leveraged that feeling into a shrewd business decision to essentially sideline other characters, such as the admirals and the other pilots, and made the film very much about Maverick. Except for Ice, Penny, and Hondo, it was Maverick being varying degrees of dick-iness to everyone else. There is no one like Viper and Jester, who were active pilots in TG and seen in flightsuits, to mentor young Maverick, whereas in TG:M, the admirals were always in service uniforms to antagonize the now adult Maverick. Service uniform vs flightsuit. It was the typical Management vs Labor trope.

I should have bought it when I was still in high school,but still...
IMG_20220625_125122.jpg

Nothing uplifts like an 70-80’s rock ballad

You want more accurate stuff watch “Flight of the Intruder”
I cried when I first saw Flight of the Intruder when Virgil (Defoe) said Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot on his radio and ask the sandy to bomb his position......

That film was something else when I first saw it......

By the way, not sure if you know, Brad Johnson just died IRL.........

I cried when I first saw Flight of the Intruder when Virgil (Defoe) said Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot on his radio and ask the sandy to bomb his position......

That film was something else when I first saw it......

By the way, not sure if you know, Brad Johnson just died IRL.........
Thats sad - RIP

Pop Corn Movie

I guess it is that simple to escape a Missile fired at you moving at Mach9
As you move in your Mach 2 craft

Sure ... nice bubble gum movie

I personally did not find any of the inflight scenes as extra ordinary as I have seen better ones

But may be for most people it was something new and refreshing

The 5th Generation vs 4th generation fight scene was none sense as well
Just too many loop holes , like walking in tip toeing into Airbase and flying a F14

They added a pilot from different Ethnicity in Top Gun school to go inline with modern mindset

Watch and forget movie simple plot , fly plane , do acrobatic moves , some fight scene and then hero music

First Movie Plot
> A random flying Mission to introduce hero no connection to story
> Bunch of Pilots come to School
> Some Tense Dialogues , tension between Students
> Some stubborn Senior Folks want to do it by the Book
> A Teacher who is renegade (Women)
> Sports Motor Bike Scene Got to have that
> Some Training Scene
> Unnecessary Beach scene
> Love Scene (With women teacher)
> Tension Scene which hurts the Hero (EMOTIONAL DAMADGE)
> End Mission
> The bad Mouth pilot becomes a softie , Maverick saves badmouthing pilot
> Hero Music after landing

Second Movie
> A random flying Mission no connection to story
> Bunch of Pilots come to School (Added a women , and minority pilots like black and Spanish)
> Some Tense Dialogues , tension between Students
> Some stubborn Senior Folks want to do it by the Book
> A teacher who is renegade (Maverick Male)
> Sports Motor Bike Scene Got to have that
> Unnecessary beach scene
> Love scene with Waitress
> Some Training Scene (Yes they added some graphics )
> Tension Scene which hurts the Hero (may be old memories) (EMOTIONAL DAMADGE)
> End Mission
> The bad mouth unlikable pilot become a softie (saves Maverick)
> Hero Music after landing

Same formula packaged in new packaging

Last edited:
the admirals were always in service uniforms to antagonize the now adult Maverick. Service uniform vs flightsuit. It was the typical Management vs Labor trope.
This is something probably only people that served will know.

The Dress Uniform vs Camo (our Army equivalent) is something you despise in the military, that mean the REMF type trying to encroach your territories. This is really flown upon, because you come in here wearing your class A like you know all the shit and start bossing us around. When you know dick about anything, that is very much the dickhead move. That usually ends with the grunt thinking "Why don't you put on a pair of camo and come into the trench with us?"

In this movie, it basically distant the viewer from the Admiral perspective (that they are wrong) and Maverick perspective (that he was right). I don't remember any scene with the admiral (beside iceman) is siding with Maverick. That is the core of the story, and this is why Cruise keep saying this is a tribute to aviation. Not some recruitment tool like the original.

Is it worth going to the cinema for? I've not been since pre-covid.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom