What's new

Turkey is open to bid on Eurofighter Typhoon warplanes if F-16s deal fails

Euro fighter soon be inducted alone vipers won't be enough to stop Greece air force

80 tranche 4 is certainly enough equipment wise
Yes Turks can't wait much for new vipers and their 5th gen jet 15 yrs ahead they need typhoons fill the stop gap due to F 35 was not inducted and entire EU Airforce's has been modernized turkey Ned's to up the throttle for jet aqusations to atleast counter Greek rafales

Yes Turks can't wait much for new vipers and their 5th gen jet 15 yrs ahead they need typhoons fill the stop gap due to F 35 was not inducted and entire EU Airforce's has been modernized turkey Ned's to up the throttle for jet aqusations to atleast counter Greek rafales
beleive it or not they will never be in direct conflict with greece. The only potential war is with russia or srab countries

The topics discussed in high level meetings are not a one-way cooperation. Some collaborations that will surprise many may be shared with the public soon.

EF Order? I do not think so.
Are you ready to see KIZILELMA flying with EJ-200 and Captor-E?

And my another prediction; some Turkish companies may join Team Tempest.

The figure speculated in defense circles is 76+24(ECR?). About 4 squadrons. If there is an ECR acquisition target, and if Germany wants to undermine Britain's defense relations, it may block it because of its dominant role in this variant.

However, there are no geopolitical conditions under which Germany can take a firm stance, especially for T3. In the worst scenario, jets can be leased over England, Spain, or UK's one of the best ally Qatar, or even Kuwait. Already, some of Qatar's Typhoons will already be stationed in Konya by 2025 because of training agreement signed by TR and Qatar.

My personal opinion is that Turkiye is not considering to order EF. There is no official statement made in this area anyway.

Last edited:
The figure speculated in defense circles is 76+24(ECR?). About 4 squadrons. If there is an ECR acquisition target, and if Germany wants to undermine Britain's defense relations, it may block it because of its dominant role in this variant.
Four squadrons? That's like replacing all of the Phantom and adding more aircraft.

That wouldn't even be an interim solution. If they were Tranche 3,that would have been a good addition to an already big inventory.

But like you said,it does sound too much.
I always thought the Turkish Air Force wants about 24-30 aircraft.

Four squadrons? That's like replacing all of the Phantom and adding more aircraft.

That wouldn't even be an interim solution. If they were Tranche 3,that would have been a good addition to an already big inventory.

But like you said,it does sound too much.
I always thought the Turkish Air Force wants about 24-30 aircraft.
For me, there is no EF request and no order will be. But if it is planning, it is definitely not limited to 1 squadron. Your estimation is incompatible neither with the operational structure of TAF nor with past practices.

There are two bases with the F-35 infrastructure completed from A to Z. And also there are squadrons want to be reactivated. If combatant aircrafts are ordered other than the F-16, it will be around 70-80 minimum due to many different reasons such as by maintenance, infrastructure, logistics and force planning.

If these forecasts are related to financial matters: We are still in much better shape than Greece, or our other neighbor Egypt in this regard which both are newly Rafale buyers. On the other hand, Of course UK has mechanisms to offer the extra-long financial plans too that France provides for its customers. Our expectation is the production of additional F-16s at TAI facilities, but if not, the order of 4-6 squadron of aircraft is easilly manageable considering our economic scale. It would be ridiculous to think that the air force lacks this capability, while even our civilian airlines are busily ordering dozens of wide-body airliners.

Our concern here is not the financial issues related to the aircraft to be ordered, but the issues related to how this type of purchase will reflect on the MMU project. The secondary concern, which I have tried to explain many times before, is about maintaining the existing infrastructure until national systems come into play. Many people see it as just a fighter jet acquisition but it is not. Not to mention the great savings created by the domestic industry contribution in maintenance, munition groups and logistics.

Last edited:
Your estimation is incompatible neither with the operational structure of TAF nor with past practices.
My estimation is compatible with the Turkish claims of "we need an interim solution until TFX is operational".

70-80 aircraft isn't an interim solution,it's an investment for a full new type.

My estimation is compatible with the Turkish claims of "we need an interim solution until TFX is operational".

70-80 aircraft isn't an interim solution,it's an investment for a full new type.
This is why EF could not be considered as stop-gap. Ordering, infrastructure installations, then reaching the operational effectiveness could take around 10 years. If an EF order comes up, this indicates a major change in planning.

Only stop-gap solution is that additional F-16 production under license, or may be leasing another aircraft from abroad, if there is an emergency.

If Turkey goes for the Eurofighter, then ideally they go for the UK's proposal to Finland as the baseline from a technological perspective.

image-169FullWidth-69e8c9ec-1745021.jpg

Turkey may "feel" the need to have an answer to the Rafale, and the F16Vs will help balance to large extent - if they are not accessible - then the Typhoon procurement would make sense and if you are going to buy into Eurofighter - then you want to buy enough to make it a sustainable fleet for use.

Lets see how this plays out. Personally i would like to see Turkey buy Eurofighters from the UK and get more involved in the Tempest programme aswell and cross-pollinate it with TFX etc.

Such a setup would form a nice "counter" to the French help to Greece...

And - we all know how the French and the UK get along .... 😂

Last edited:
That would be very interesting,right old chap?

The British-French rivalry would go crazy.

The irony is that in the late 90s and early 2000s,we were supposed to get Eurofighter Typhoons as well. In fact,we were supposed to be part of the program. I remember the then Prime Minister,Kostas Simitis talking again and again about how Greece would be getting "Yourofighttttrrrr".

But in the end,nothing.

Untitled-Scanned-04 (2).jpg

If Turkey goes for the Eurofighter, then ideally they go for the UK's proposal to Finland as the baseline from a technological perspective.

View attachment 856675

Turkey may "feel" the need to have an answer to the Rafale, and the F16Vs will help balance to large extent - if they are not accessible - then the Typhoon procurement would make sense and if you are going to buy into Eurofighter - then you want to buy enough to make it a sustainable fleet for use.

Lets see how this plays out. Personally i would like to see Turkey buy Eurofighters from the UK and get more involved in the Tempest programme aswell and cross-pollinate it with TFX etc.

And - we all know how the French and the UK get along .... 😂
If there is a order thinking in that speculated quantities, this deal definitely includes participation in the Tempest project. Otherwise, there would be no such agreement.

If I am not mistaken in the (former) planning of the Turkish air force, there was a target of reaching approximately 400 combat jets. There are about 240 F-16s. The targeted intake for the F-35 was over 100. If there was no problem in the supply of the F-35, the MMU would have replaced the F-16s in a more comfortable project schedule.

Just before Turkiye joined the JSF project, full partnership was offered in the Eurofighter project. Even before, the British offered a Tornado in 80s, in great financial terms and offer was included shifting production to Turkiye, these talks was stopped last minute and we continued with the F-16. The political climate at that time was closer to the USA and the USA was preferred instead of Europe. Anyway. Ironically, this time the old reality is turned upside down on the table.

That would be very interesting,right old chap?

The British-French rivalry would go crazy.
There was also an EEZ problem between the UK and France. Occasionally they chase each other's fishermen.

France argues that the British Isles cannot be granted maritime jurisdiction. However, I think the smart french think that only they in the world can benefit from this legal right. :D

Last edited:
If there is a order thinking in that speculated quantities, this deal definitely includes participation in the Tempest project. Otherwise, there would be no such agreement.

If I am not mistaken in the (former) planning of the Turkish air force, there was a target of reaching approximately 400 combat jets. There are about 240 F-16s. The targeted intake for the F-35 was over 100. If there was no problem in the supply of the F-35, the MMU would have replaced the F-16s in a more comfortable project schedule.

Just before Turkiye joined the JSF project, full partnership was offered in the Eurofighter project. Even before, the British offered a Tornado in 80s, in great financial terms and offer was included shifting production to Turkiye, these talks was stopped last minute and we continued with the F-16. The political climate at that time was closer to the USA and the USA was preferred instead of Europe. Anyway. Ironically, this time the old reality is turned upside down on the table.

There was also an EEZ problem between the UK and France. Occasionally they chase each other's fishermen.

France argues that the British Isles cannot be granted maritime jurisdiction. However, I think the smart french think that only they in the world can benefit from this legal right. :D
Don't worry about them,they have their problems all solved. Their biggest problems in northern Europe,are green energy,gay rights and animals in zoos.

Back
Top Bottom