What's new

UK unveils Taranis Stealth Combat Aircraft

What it also means in retrospect is the greater pool of aspiring pilots. Those who are physically unfit in some areas but display considerable flying aptitude now have the chance to fulfill their dreams.

But the report says the machine can fly itself - without need for a pilot on the ground.

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt their PM say he was going to slash the defence spending budget by a considerable ammount? If so, then how will the support this?

There is going to be a Strategic Defence and Security Review where the government will look at defence projects and decide what it can afford and whether some projects are really needed.

So it is true then !! The era of fighter pilots is indeed coming to an end !!

I think Britain will attempt to colonize again to grow in size
Long gone are the days of Colonizations, it is not possible now even for America. Iraq & Afghanistan might be under American control but no one can establish on factual grounds that these are American colonies rather the more appropriate terminology is Imperialism & there's a difference between these two & even then it has proved to be a more costly affair for Americans, & for Britain which has a military strength even smaller than Pakistani military seems highly illogical that they will try to capture other territories just because they have developed a a stealthy ucav

But the report says the machine can fly itself - without need for a pilot on the ground.

No.. the report means the machine can fly itself with a pilot supervising..
what if the thing decides to see what happens if it flies straight down?
So everybody in the room can just scream and see a million dollar piece of equipment commit suicide?
Every modern UAV has some degree of autonomy.. the predators can fly themselves from takeoff to the target area and back. They only need pilots for takeoff, strike and landing.
what the Taranis does is handle those aspects as well, it is intelligent enough to know when and what to attack. Thats it. There is nothing the sort of EDI of the movie "stealth". What the taranis will do when attacking is follow a preprogammed pattern and "moves" it needs to make to achieve its goal.
But what if in a strike mission the taranis selects civillians as the target?
That is when you need your human in the loop.. and as long as we dont reach that level of AI when computers truly think like us and have compassion,concience and judgment.. there is always going to be a pilot around for the vehicle.. along with a mission commander.

No.. the report means the machine can fly itself with a pilot supervising..
what if the thing decides to see what happens if it flies straight down?
So everybody in the room can just scream and see a million dollar piece of equipment commit suicide?
Every modern UAV has some degree of autonomy.. the predators can fly themselves from takeoff to the target area and back. They only need pilots for takeoff, strike and landing.
what the Taranis does is handle those aspects as well, it is intelligent enough to know when and what to attack. Thats it. There is nothing the sort of EDI of the movie "stealth". What the taranis will do when attacking is follow a preprogammed pattern and "moves" it needs to make to achieve its goal.
But what if in a strike mission the taranis selects civillians as the target?
That is when you need your human in the loop.. and as long as we dont reach that level of AI when computers truly think like us and have compassion,concience and judgment.. there is always going to be a pilot around for the vehicle.. along with a mission commander.

The X-45A during it's demonstration testing did not need it's backup pilot to hit targets. The X-45C, X-47, and Taranis I'm sure are no different. But yes they all have remote pilots that can intervene and take over the UCAV. The UCAV abilities are increasing though as computer power increases. I think however it will be upwards of 100 years before we see computers being able to mimic Human cognitive thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
May be and may be not. USA is willing to sell it to India to generate revenue to keep the project going. Correct me if wrong.

I would love to see it in Indian Colours :smitten:and may be we will call it Prachanda :rofl:

It would be really funny to see a UCAV start up with "good morning dave".:rofl:

The UK can't afford it £143million is alot of money, especially with the tories are cutting down on everything including the defence budget.

...... :toast_sign:

Thats the R&D cost of the project. Its a sunk cost now. It has already been spent. I dont think each aircraft will cost that much.

and even if it does, it is possible to induct a few, just like the US did with B-2 bomber.

It looks more like 6th generation fighter to me!!!!!!!!!
i.e. Britain is jumping from 4th gen to 6th gen!!!! I think this is the lesson they learnt from euro fighter :coffee:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom