What's new

Europe coronavirus cases and deaths

France over the last 24 hours (hospitals statistics only)

Cases : 145.746 (+191)
Deaths : 18.260 (+65)
Hospitalized : 15.680 (-584)
Persons in ICU : 1.501 (-54)
Recovered in hospitals : 66.584 (+705)

If we count deaths at nursing homes the virus has claimed 28.595 lives in France. (+66)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

UK over the last 24 hours:

1,003 new cases and 245 new deaths.

Government scientific experts say that currently 1 in 1000 people have the virus.

Nothing to "celebrate" but the number of new cases is heading below 1000 and into the hundreds. This will make it manageable and gives hope that large sectors of the economy can be opened up over the summer.
Number of new cases and daily deaths are now lower than before the lockdown back on March 23rd.

@Vergennes

Last edited:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

UK over the last 24 hours:

1,003 new cases and 245 new deaths.

Government scientific experts say that currently 1 in 1000 people have the virus.

Nothing to "celebrate" but the number of new cases is heading below 1000 and into the hundreds. This will make it manageable and gives hope that large sectors of the economy can be opened up over the summer.
Number of new cases and daily deaths are now lower than before the lockdown back on March 23rd.

@Vergennes

Indeed there's "positive" developments all over Europe. Let's hope there won't be any second wave as lockdown rules are being eased.

-

Cases : 160.093 (+641)
Deaths : 19.176 (+16)
Hospitalized : 9.837 (-133)
Persons in ICU : 715 (-12)
Recovered in hospitals : 74.302 (+705)

If we count deaths at nursing homes the virus has claimed 29.633 lives in France. (+16)

Indeed there's "positive" developments all over Europe. Let's hope there won't be any second wave as lockdown rules are being eased.

-

Cases : 160.093 (+641)
Deaths : 19.176 (+16)
Hospitalized : 9.837 (-133)
Persons in ICU : 715 (-12)
Recovered in hospitals : 74.302 (+705)

If we count deaths at nursing homes the virus has claimed 29.633 lives in France. (+16)

France seems to have pretty much flattened the virus by a very severe lockdown, more so than the UK.

UK detected infections is coming down than slower than France, Italy and Spain but the important thing is that it is coming down.
New infections are falling by 3% a day and we can have good confidence in this figure as the UK now tests more people per capita than any other country in Europe.

One really bit of good news was the revelation this week by the UK of a drug that cuts death of those on ventilators by 35%. This drug is widely produced and available all over the world and so should save thousands of lives over the coming months.

One bit of bad news is that UK’s contact tracing app has failed and so they have had to revert to the Google/Apple solution. It would have provided that extra assistance to the human contact tracing system that is currently in place.
Does France have an app in use currently?

PS - Does anyone have any figures for Sweden as I cannot get any for yesterday or today?

Yes we do have one called "StopCovid",but not much of a success either. The app has been downloaded only ~2 million times.

To be honest,I myself didn't download it.

I heard in France that Macron has ordered all schools to be open from tomorrow.

UK is only intending to fully open schools in the new academic year that starts in September.

Do you think many parents going to decide to go against the President and not send their children to school tomorrow?

I heard in France that Macron has ordered all schools to be open from tomorrow.

UK is only intending to fully open schools in the new academic year that starts in September.

Do you think many parents going to decide to go against the President and not send their children to school tomorrow?

Indeed from tomorrow pre-schools,primary and middle schools will re-open. Majority of parents will send their children back to school,however ~25% said they won't although it's mandatory and ~30 aren't sure they will.

I myself don't know if I'll send them back to school,but I fail to see the point of re-opening schools when there's only few days left before the academic year ends. (early july)

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-27/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-saturday-27-june/

"Scotland has reported no new deaths linked to coronavirus for the second day in a row, as the overall UK death toll increases by 100."

"The DHSC also said in the 24-hour period up to 9am on Saturday, 155,359 tests were carried out or dispatched, with 890 positive results".

@Vergennes

UK is about to hit a milestone where average daily deaths fall below 100 into double digits and cases are firmly in the hundreds and not thousands a day.

The city of Leicester with a population of 350,000 may be placed under lockdown since it has had far above the number of cases compared to what you would expect from a city this size. Hopefully this is not necessary and if it happens then it provides an incentive for people to better follow the guidelines that are there for all our social, health and economic wellbeing.

Can I ask if France has considered anything similar as you are around 3-4 weeks ahead of the UK in terms of the pandemic?

Can I ask if France has considered anything similar as you are around 3-4 weeks ahead of the UK in terms of the pandemic?

"Only" 35 people have died of the coronavirus over the last three days in France. Situation is improving in hospitals too as number of people hospitalized and in ICU are decreasing as well as the number of people being admitted to those services.

As for your question,while the situation is improving all over France,the situation is quite worrying in French Guyana,this French overseas territory located in south America. Authorities are re-considering lockdown in case situation doesn't improve.

french_guiana.gif

"Only" 35 people have died of the coronavirus over the last three days in France. Situation is improving in hospitals too as number of people hospitalized and in ICU are decreasing as well as the number of people being admitted to those services.

As for your question,while the situation is improving all over France,the situation is quite worrying in French Guyana,this French overseas territory located in south America. Authorities are re-considering lockdown in case situation doesn't improve.

View attachment 646179

Government has said that in Leicester it will not allow pubs and restaurants to open on July the 4th like the rest of England(Scotland, Wakes and Northern Ireland are doing things differently).

Schools and "non-essential" shops are also being closed.

The measures will last at least 2 weeks.
If needs be other more stricter measures may be imposed.

It will be interesting to see how this works in practice as people from Leicester will in theory be able to drive outside the city to pubs and restaurants.

Imposing restrictions in French Guiyana I presume should be a lot easier than in a single city in France.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom