What's new

History of Sindhis

Mirzali Khan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We have one for Punjabis, Pashtoons, and Gilgit/AJK. I think we should have one for Sindhis. Mods can you please sticky this in the history section?

@waz @The Eagle

A very rare photo of Lansdowne Bridge over Indus River at #Sukkur in 1890s #Sindh #Pakistan

1644773982976.png

@Mujahid Memon ji Memom sahab kujh likhio bhala...
I am finding a book in which there was a brief history on the origin of memons. I will post the screenshots when I find it.

In short, memon people were originated from Sindhi people who were converted to Islam after Muhammad bin Qasim's conquest of Sindh. They were called Momins (believers) that later changed to Memon. After embracing Islam they were subjected to brutal persecution by fellow Sindhi Hindus and hence they migrated to Gujarat to avoid persecution. Later during the birth of Pakistan, our ancestors decided to re-migrate back to our own homeland, the land of Sindhu nadi.

One thing about Sindhis-
They were never the same guys. In the early ages, Sindhi were dark people. Then came invasions after invasions, and with each Irani and central Asian invasions, they went from darker to lighter-skinned. Their languages also changed from one invasion to another invasion.

One thing about Sindhis-
They were never the same guys. In the early ages, Sindhi were dark people. Then came invasions after invasions, and with each Irani and central Asian invasions, they went from darker to lighter-skinned. Their languages also changed from one invasion to another invasion.
migrations had more to do with this change than "invasions" - cause what you hint is highly disrespectful - they were raped into changing their entire make up

migrations had more to do with this change than "invasions" - cause what you hint is highly disrespectful - they were raped into changing their entire make up
Not rape, but total annihilation and displacement. Mostly original Sindhis were pushed more towards South India.
@Sainthood 101 also migrations and mixing.
It's a mix of many things.

Last edited:
One thing about Sindhis-
This is such an absurd statement.

Sindhis along with most other Pakistani ethnic groups are among the few ethnic groups in the world that have overwhelmingly retained their genetic admixture since the Iron Age.

There is no Arab, Iranian or Central Asian genetic influence among Sindhis.

Arabs that settled in Sindh were massacred and exterminated by Mahmud Ghaznavi while the Arabs of Multan were exiled to Delhi by the Langahs thus concluding the last remnants of Arab colonies in the region.

Foreign Muslim settlers that came from the West overwhelmingly settled in the heartland of Indo-Islamic rule (modern-day UP), not in modern-day Pakistan.

Last edited:
This is such an absurd statement.

Sindhis along with most other Pakistani ethnic groups are among the few ethnic groups in the world that have overwhelmingly retained their genetic admixture since the Iron Age.

There is no Arab, Iranian or Central Asian genetic influence among Sindhis.

Arabs that settled in Sindh were massacred and exterminated by Mahmud Ghaznavi while the Arabs of Multan were exiled to Delhi by the Langahs thus concluding the last remnants of Arab colonies in the region.

Foreign Muslim settlers that came from the West overwhelmingly settled in the heartland of Indo-Islamic rule (modern-day UP), not in modern-day Pakistan.
I am inclined to accept the bs you posted. But let's talk on simple fact. If sindhis are the same people since million(or perhaps zillions) of years then why so many shades of brown:
548563a042130.jpg
8a609ca4d124fb1cefe40c9f637b5301.jpg
8c64567f4aecf005538ee08639790dec.jpg

Is this not the same with Punjabis though?

You can find such dark-skin Punjabis and then incredibly light skinned ones. Even in India's Punjab.
Exactly my point. People of subcontinent, whosoever, were never same.

Intermixing between other ethnicities of Pakistan probably and any invasions
Its a mix of events actually. Invasions, mixing everything involved. But they were never the same people.

Actually the original Sindhis are either the samath (kalhoras, mir Bahar, rajpers, pownher etc) or drawer Sindhis(bhel, kohli, etc). Others are again outsiders. Like laghari, bhutto, lashari, sial are siraiki people. Marre, jakhrani, zerdari, dahni, magsi all are Baloch tribes. Even soomras of Sindh are originally from haryana(originally jaat).
Edit: agha, durrani, pathan casts are all Pashtoons, not Sindhi. And I am not talking about Rizvi, Syeds, Shah's, makhdooms etc at the moment. Sindh is, and always was more multicultural than these ethnic leaders think it was. Current clash in Karachi is nothing but an oppressive move by one party over some marked members of same diverse society. It's an oppression nothing more, and state is not doing anything to save her own people.

Last edited:
I am finding a book in which there was a brief history on the origin of memons. I will post the screenshots when I find it.

In short, memon people were originated from Sindhi people who were converted to Islam after Muhammad bin Qasim's conquest of Sindh. They were called Momins (believers) that later changed to Memon. After embracing Islam they were subjected to brutal persecution by fellow Sindhi Hindus and hence they migrated to Gujarat to avoid persecution. Later during the birth of Pakistan, our ancestors decided to re-migrate back to our own homeland, the land of Sindhu nadi.
wow i am a memon and dint know the history thankyou ser!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom