What's new

Testing closed system theory on Taliban do they need foreign money?

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Financing Terror: Testing the Closed-system Theory

Introduction

Most Pakistanis believe that Terrorism and terrorist activities are a part of a wider ‘game’ and politics. India, America, Afghanistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia and a nexus of other alliances are often held responsible in the media and collective conscious of the people are responsible for providing the terrorists with funding and logistical support to attack Pakistan and operate within Pakistan.
On the other side of the spectrum it has been noted that terrorist organisations in other parts of the world have operated in what can now be called as a ‘in-system’ or ‘closed-system’ economy (Dalyan, 2008; FATF-GAFI, 2008). Essentially what it means is that the terrorist organisations invest considerably in a relatively stable economic infrastructure which supports their operational capabilities much like economies that focus on isolation in terms of capital generation capabilities (Clarida, Gali, & Gertler, 2001; Vlachos, Georgiadis & Iakovou,2007).

The main sources of income for the organisations are stated to be as follows: state-sponsership, criminal enterprise, regular enterprise and private support. Most Pakistanis favour the first ‘state-sponsership’ as the main source of funding for terrorist operations within their own country however it should be noted that empirically the evidence for this type of funding has decreased Bantekas, 2003; Clunan, 2006; Hardoin & Weichhardt , 2003). This is in part due to the difficulty the post-9/11 legislation poses to moving large finances (see, FATF-GAFI report for a detailed description of financial operations of terrorist organisations).

The next source seems to have taken precedence and there seems to be a logical tactical advantage to that as well (Brigadier Shahid, personal communication, 2013) for it should be noted that direct control over the economic infrastructure enhances the operational capabilities of an entity (Sanderson, 2004).

Taking this strategy a bit further it should be noted that there have been cases of a ‘nexus’ amongst criminal and anti-state organisations for both share a number of features namely, the opposition to state hold, a preference for a lower law and order hold on operational areas, intimidation of local populace where operations are carried out and state independent economic holdings (Sanderson, 2004).

Thus, expounding this theory further it should also be noted that once generation and sustainance of funding reaches a certain level a small organisation looks to invest and diversify its holdings and sources of income (Narula, 2002) this is why some theorists have pointed out that terrorist organisations most probably support legitimate businesses and use it for ‘white-washing’ and ‘asset management’ (Napoleoni, 2004) whereas there is a possibility of using it as recruitment grounds as well.

An interesting note is also on the use of charities for financing terrorism though in the present times (2013) it is most likely used more for asset management than revenue generation (author’s opinion).

Research Questions

Taking into account the hidden nature of the data this study aims to put to the test the closed-system theory. The research questions of this study are as follows:

i. Can the cost of organisational expense of terrorit organisations be be explained by closed-system ?

ii. Is the closed system economy adequate for sustaining terrorist operations in Pakistan?

iii. Can the terrorist incidents pattern be explained by closed-system economy?

Cost of a terrorist operation

It is hard to measure the financial cost of executing a terrorist operation mostly due to the fact that most of the raw materials are procured via the black market which is difficult to analyse in terms of economics. However, projective costs have been estimated by various studies and for the purpose of this study the cost per terrorist operation will be taken into account as USD 10,000 (Reese, 2009) This is because of the dearth of studies on financial cost of terrorist operations within Pakistan and because the above stated figure is internationally agreed upon minimum cap for international strikes thus it makes sense to cap it as such as most probably the cost is lower than that in Pakistan (Brig. Shahid, personal communication, 2013).

Organisational expense

The terrorist organisations in Pakistan are organisations and it is natural that they operate like one. Every organisation has a cost of existing which is also called organisational expense, it includes the cost of running day to day operations of the organisation. Though there is not a comprehensive model of the organisational structure of the terrorist organisations in Pakistan there is a high probability that they emulate the organisational structure of the 1980s raised original Mujahideen groups against the Soviets for most of their training was received in such formations (Nawaz, 2009). Thus, the organisational model of the focus of this study, the Taliban of Pakistan, is modelled on the Afghani chapter of the Taliban (see Afsar, Samples & Wood, 2008) with almost 8 major departments of functioning with 10% going as running costs (Afsar, Samples & Wood, 2008; Harrison & Price, 2002)

Closed-system economies

The studies on closed system economies suggest that there is a probable variation of about 15% in the overall economic revenue generated by closed-systems that figure will be taken into account. As per most preliminary analysis of the financial infrastructure of the Pakistani terrorist organisations, specifically the TTP, suggests that their revenue generation capabilities have not been greatly perturbed by the military operations against them. In fact they have focused more on diversifying the economic arm of their infrastructure as the civilian component and administration of the counterinsurgency programme has not been up to the mark forcing the military to establish control multiple times on territories already cleared of militants (Nawaz, 2009; 2011). Thus, allowing the Taliban to change tactics and focus revenue generation elsewhere in the nation with heavy investing in criminal enterprises (Walsh, 2012).
Thus, there is considerable support for the agreed upon figure of 15% fluctuations in the revenue of terrorist organisations, specifically the Taliban.

Revenue of the Pakistani Taliban

For the purpose of this study the revenue of the Taliban would be taken as USD 200 million (Mufti, 2009) though there have been figures going as high as USD 500 million and as low as USD 100 million, it seems to hold the average from USD 200 Billion of narcotics trade with respect to the region (Ansar, work in progress, 2013).

Data and results
Number of terrorist attacks and death toll in Pakistan by year (accessed from Wikipedia and other news sources online)
216 in 2012 (cost = USD 2610000)
65 in 2011 (cost = USD 650000)
157 in 2010 (cost = USD 1570000)
139 in 2009 (cost = USD 1390000)
92 in 2008 (cost = USD 920000)

Number of terrorist attacks 2008-12

Running of TTP

With an average of running cost of USD = 160 million accounting for the projected 8 departmental divisions (which includes reinvestments) the Taliban have USD= 40 million to fight the Pakistan military and execute attacks in Pakistani soil. The total cost of operations in 2008-12 comes to USD= 7140000 (7.1 million), the average per annum to USD = 1428000 (1.4 million). This leaves the organisation a comfortable capital to shift around, counter a near-conventional battle against the Paksitani military and even invest in recruitment projects or expansion.

Implications
The figures are surprisingly high but help to explain the success that the Taliban have enjoyed so far. Even if the figures are not accurate, even by the authors own accounts, they are based on real figures and the actual picture is not far from this one. Even if the figures are above the actual figures (though the author chose the lowest figures available for revenue and highest for spending) it does lend support to the original research questions that the study poses.
There cannot denying that there might be a ‘foreign hand’ amongst the terrorist organisations, however, it is possible that there is a closed-economy which can sustain the workings of the Taliban, which is used as the focus of this study. It is entirely possible that this similar networking allows an independent and free strategy of the terrorist organisations.
The implications for the counterinsurgency programmes of Pakistan are very clear: the military must put pressure on the insurgents but as this is a war of attrition and the sole military pressure has been unable to cut off the economic backbone of the insurgents their capabilities to strike against Pakistan is not compromised. This explains why they are able to strike back again and again despite military pressure on them.
Secondly, the civilian government needs to increase its tax net due to the hidden aspect of the money transfer that spills into Pakistan (Jamwal, 2003). Furthermore, Pakistan needs to curb on the administration free parts of the country to get a tab on the economic activity there for the accountability of the financial movement there which can also help in intelligence crackdowns. Thirdly, the stumping of the criminal organisations which have political backing and connections needs to heavily and vehemently put down as ‘every soldier’s blood has the black money from every gang who operates in Pakistan’ Brig. Shahid (personal communication, 2013). This will be difficult as the political culture in Pakistan has a certain interest in maintaining a relatively free tax and law and order hold in the country (Philip, 2005).
The way forward is to work within Pakistan and that too in terms of civics rather than a total military operation. Military operations tend to lag when the civics is also laden onto them (Nawaz, 2010) therefore the civilian government needs to improve the law and order situation country-wise not just in the affected areas for a successful blow against the Taliban and terrorists.

References

Afsar, S., Samples, C., & Wood, T. (2008). The Taliban: An Organizational Analysis: DTIC Document.
Ansari, A. (2013). Billing for terror: estimating the cost of terrorist operations. University of Karachi. Karachi.
Clarida, R., Gali, J., & Gertler, M. (2001). Optimal monetary policy in closed versus open economies: An integrated approach: National Bureau of Economic Research.
Dalyan, Ş. (2008). Combating the Financing of Terrorism: Rethinking Strategies for Success. Defence Against Terrorism Review, 1(1), 137-153.
Harrison, D. A., Price, K. H., Gavin, J. H., & Florey, A. T. (2002). Time, teams, and task performance: Changing effects of surface-and deep-level diversity on group functioning. Academy of management journal, 45(5), 1029-1045.
Jamwal, N. (2002). Hawala‐the invisible financing system of terrorism. Strategic Analysis, 26(2), 181-198.
Mufti, S. (2009). Funding the Pakistani Taliban, GlobalPost.
Napoleoni, L. (2005). Terror incorporated: tracing the dollars behind the terror networks: Seven Stories Press New York.
Narula, R. (2002). Multinational investment and economic structure: Globalisation and competitiveness: Routledge.
Nawaz, S., & de Borchgrave, A. (2009). FATA—a most dangerous place. Center for Strategic and International Studies.
Philip, C. S. The Idea of Pakistan, 2005, Lahore: Vanguard Books.
Reese, J. (2009). Financing the Taliban: The Convergence of Ungoverned Territory and Unofficial Economy. Michigan State University.
Sanderson, T. M. (2004). Transnational terror and organized crime: blurring the lines. Sais Review, 24(1), 49-61.
Shahid, M. (2013). [A conversation about the insurgents].
. Terrorist Financing. (2008). France: FATF GAFI.
Vlachos, D., Georgiadis, P., & Iakovou, E. (2007). A system dynamics model for dynamic capacity planning of remanufacturing in closed-loop supply chains. Computers & Operations Research, 34(2), 367-394.
Walsh, D. (2012). Taliban Gaining More Resources From Kidnapping, The New York Times.

An original piece I have been flirting with for a while, please read and critique
@Capt.Popeye @Marshmallow @Alpha1 @Armstrong @Aeronaut @Kirat @Secur @Dillinger please tag others as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally some one proving my point I was saying this for quite long Taliban don't need have take money from Saudi Arabia or some where else not these countries support them any more its your own people Sir 70 Billion which is given in Zakat by Pakistanis mostly goes to Madrassahs and some of them are being run by these guys @Aeronaut @Oscar @Imran Khan @Secur and others

whats new ? what do you think 20% of Pakistani population is agnostic on atheist why ???????????

@jaibi Often times I and @Hyperion have had a talk about this. This very aspect of the financial model that enables terrorist and proscribed organisations has been dealt with, albeit in sparse detail, in said exchanges.

Once significantly large power centers with their inherent economic interests emerge, which happen to be self-sustaining or at least not directly connected to the traditional economic activities then uprooting them becomes problematic. If said centers receive state patronage for a while due to a convergence in goals then they are further facilitated with the time and free hand required to entrench themselves. The state must always remember though that these goals will converge only as long as these organisations do not develop their own divergent interests and the wherewithal to pursue them. Think of the scenario with the Mexican drug cartels which, much like the Taliban have weathered onslaught after onslaught by local LEAs, specialized units raised to specifically tackle them and the DEA. When freely available mil-grade arms and training is introduced into such a scenario then things degrade further. There are many other factors that contribute to the intractability of the Taliban problem including the ready source of indoctrinated cadre. But their main strength lies in their decentralized command setup, ability to operate in areas which are inhospitable to begin with in terms of sustained warfare and the self sustained nature of their financial resources.

Brilliant analysis by the way. Thanks.:tup:

Hype, what did I tell you..TT most definitely.

Finally some one proving my point I was saying this for quite long Taliban don't need have take money from Saudi Arabia or some where else not these countries support them any more its your own people Sir 70 Billion which is given in Zakat by Pakistanis mostly goes to Madrassahs and some of them are being run by these guys @Aeronaut @Oscar @Imran Khan @Secur and others

Zarvan I argue that it is a possibility that they do recieve foreign aid but that is not a necessity for their operational capabilities. It makes sense for them to have economic independence from anyone India or Saudi Arabia. It's high time we clean up our mess. Thank you for the read.

Zarvan I argue that it is a possibility that they do recieve foreign aid but that is not a necessity for their operational capabilities. It makes sense for them to have economic independence from anyone India or Saudi Arabia. It's high time we clean up our mess. Thank you for the read.

It would serve the people in high places well to figure out what proportion of these finances is generated within country or drawn from income accrued within Pakistan itself and what quantum of said funds is derived from international sources. Clarity on this matter is essential since even a marginal blow to said financial network can significantly degrade their operational capabilities in terms of executing high visibility attacks.

@jaibi Often times I and @Hyperion have had a talk about this. This very aspect of the financial model that enables terrorist and proscribed organisations has been dealt with, albeit in sparse detail, in said exchanges.

Once significantly large power centers with their inherent economic interests emerge, which happen to be self-sustaining or at least not directly connected to the traditional economic activities then uprooting them becomes problematic. If said centers receive state patronage for a while due to a convergence in goals then they are further facilitated with the time and free hand required to entrench themselves. The state must always remember though that these goals will converge only as long as these organisations do not develop their own divergent interests and the wherewithal to pursue them. Think of the scenario with the Mexican drug cartels which, much like the Taliban have weathered onslaught after onslaught by local LEAs, specialized units raised to specifically tackle them and the DEA. When freely available mil-grade arms and training is introduced into such a scenario then things degrade further. There are many other factors that contribute to the intractability of the Taliban problem including the ready source of indoctrinated cadre. But their main strength lies in their decentralized command setup, ability to operate in areas which are inhospitable to begin with in terms of sustained warfare and the self sustained nature of their financial resources.

Brilliant analysis by the way. Thanks.:tup:

Hype, what did I tell you..TT most definitely.

Thank you, Dillinger. I did not know that there have been previous discussions on PDF about this. I have often presented this alternative view and have it criticised so I went ahead and did the stats. I do not think that it's up to debate as most people see it. SO it was more an exercise in proving what perhaps we already know!

It would serve the people in high places well to figure out what proportion of these finances is generated within country or drawn from income accrued within Pakistan itself and what quantum of said funds are derived from international sources. clarity on this matter is essential since even a marginal blow to said finance network can significantly degrade their operational capabilities in terms of executing high visibility attacks.

You know I checked the stats again and again on SPSS to be clear about the numbers. I was surprised by the amount of money I was seeing.

Thank you, Dillinger. I did not know that there have been previous discussions on PDF about this. I have often presented this alternative view and have it criticised so I went ahead and did the stats. I do not think that it's up to debate as most people see it. SO it was more an exercise in proving what perhaps we already know!

Talked of previously in such detail? Not a chance yaara. As I said, in sparse detail. There will always be an urge to put on the proverbial blinkers and restrain free thought- specially from those for whom free thought does not revolve around expressing scatological POVs.

The data may be accurate, may not completely be accurate. There might be margins of error in certain parameters. All of that does not invalidate the fact that the Taliban does have a local shadow economy, insight into which will vastly aide the state.

TTP are trained and funded by Indians in Afghanistan.

They also make money from the opium trade, extortion and abductions for ransom.

They are nothing more than a gangster mafia organisation under the veil of a political/religious movement.

They are common criminals who have nothing to add to society except for death and destruction.

I agree . Though , Its extremely sad and disgusting to hear that the people of Pakistan - mostly middle class are paying the yearly welfare money - Zakat to Madarsas and other religious institutions which are financing terror and chaos against them and their own country . What bigger stupidity would be , if not providing money and resources to the same elements which have killed 50,000 of their brethren and affected countless families . They have virtually brought the economy to a near halt and made Pakistan - a place to be feared by waging Jihad here . Maybe , people should start researching a little before donating their hard earned money to the terrorists/militants , Mullah brigade and Jihadis .

whats new ? what do you think 20% of Pakistani population is agnostic on atheist why ???????????

I'm not quite sure what you mean, sir.

Its extremely sad and disgusting to hear that the people of Pakistan - mostly middle class are paying the yearly welfare money - Zakat to Madarsas and other religious institutions which are financing terror and chaos against them and their own country . What bigger stupidity would be , if not providing money and resources to the same elements which have killed 50,000 of their brethren and affected countless families . They have virtually brought the economy to a near halt and made Pakistan - a place to be feared . Maybe , people should start researching a little before donating their hard earned money to the terrorists/militants , Mullah brigade and Jihadis .

There is a definite spillage of money from the Madrassas, every study I picked showed that and I tried to get financials from a few religious welfare organisations in Lahore and that was not a pleasent experience either due to embezzlement or shady connections but every criminal in Pakistan is paying the Talibs who are killing us. Ironic isn't it @Zarvan ?

TTP are trained and funded by Indians in Afghanistan.

They also make money from the opium trade, extortion and abductions for ransom.

They are nothing more than a gangster mafia organisation under the veil of a political/religious movement.

They are common criminals who have nothing to add to society except for death and destruction.

There is extremely weak evidence for the first proposition, sir. I have extensively tried to find it, though there seems to be evidence for foreign support in the insurgency in Balochistan though.

Back
Top Bottom