What's new

1965 War Documentary Fath-e-Mobin

My Country, "Republic of India" was never broken by anyone. More than 1/3rd kashimr was taken by us before we stepped in and snatched more territory. It was your mataji or pappaji or whatever you call your country which was cut into half, mercilessly by us. Not only that, we poked you in the eye whenever we wanted too. So, know your place before you start going coco nuts. We did cross international boundary again after 1965. So, widemouthing wont change the facts..

Toot gaya hay Hindustan , Ban gaya ha Pakistan!
Aur bhi totay ga Hindustan , Kashmir banay ga Pakistan!

India has been celebrating kargil since 99...however i have seen a lot of Pakistani's claiming that it was US who denied Paksitan a handsome victory...does that prove anything to you...fact is that Pakistan did put a good defense of Lahore which has been sold to Pakistanis simply deleting of why the defenses had to be put in the first place...As far as India goes we goofed up a lot...PAF did pretty well against their rival as well thanks to very effective pre-emptive strike...IN was simply a spectator in the whole affair and the ridiculous level of miscommunication which was provided to the then PM was too embarrassing for the whole saga to be treated as a victory...The current govt. is just putting things into right perspective that may be did have a poor records to show yet we managed to achieve our objective and save the day...though many including me don't buy that argument....

As far as Pakistan is concerned then it is you who need to decide if you want to straighten up the historical records or no...frankly wont change one bit for your neighbours...

Incidentally, since you mentioned the performance in the air, there is a story, never established in fact, about it. Apparently, during the Rann of Kutch incident early in 1965, Asghar Khan, then head of the PAF, and Arjan Singh had a quiet chat and agreed not to escalate the already pretty bad situation on the ground. Soon after this, Asghar Khan retired and his equally dynamic and charismatic successor, Nur Khan, took over. This would have been in or around July 1965. Arjan Singh assumed the pact held; Nur Khan had had nothing to do with it, and like any good chief, aware of the odds, pushed in a very heavy wave of strikes right at the outset. The IAF lost a number of planes on the ground because elementary precautions were not taken at the time, end August 1965, just as things were hotting up in Kashmir.

I first read this in the reminiscences of some senior Air Force officers, who had been posted at bases where the then base commander simply refused to take any protective measures until it was too late.

My Country, "Republic of India" was never broken by anyone. More than 1/3rd kashimr was taken by us before we stepped in and snatched more territory. It was your mataji or pappaji or whatever you call your country which was cut into half, mercilessly by us. Not only that, we poked you in the eye whenever we wanted too. So, know your place before you start going coco nuts. We did cross international boundary again after 1965. So, widemouthing wont change the facts..

Not needed.

Just present cold, hard facts. Pakistani civilians are never told these. This in spite of the fact that Pakistani military men have written very fine memoirs about their times.

Just the facts.Anything more is demeaning. My personal experience, FWIW.

Pakistan was caught by surprise as they did not expect a full invasion of Pakistan by India. India attacked regions that Pakistan least expected to be attacked; this was credited to better tactics by better officers employed by the Indian military and deserves at least some praise.

But again; surprisingly - halved garrisons managed to halt the combined Indian invasions, all though the Indian forces had successfully captured some Pakistani territory; the conditions and circumstances for the Indian forces was looking bleak, if they'd stay any further - it would've turned into a logistical nightmare (similar to Napoleon's invasion of Russia).

Any strong counter-attack; and the Indian lines would've easily been broken. Reversing Indian gains and paving the way for an invasion of Indian Punjab. The Indian Army had gambled all it's momentum on Punjab; a short term victory but what would've turned into a long term defeat.

As Pakistan was slapped awake; massive reinforcements were grouping to counter-attack Indian forces in Pakistan. Not to mention: armed tribes from both sides of the Afghan-Pak border were preparing for an invasion of IOK.

Indian forces which were facing logistic problems and were completely worn out by stern resistance, wouldn't have stood against the upcoming counter-attack. What India spent most it's strength on, Pakistan was just warming up.

But would it be worth it? Pakistan knew, due to international pressure; it wouldn't be able to hold onto any territory in Indian Punjab and invading Kashmir in the current circumstances would be a huge gamble (risked further losing territory in Punjab).

By the time the arrow was drawn; the ceasefire was signed. Pakistan had successfully held off the Indian forces in Punjab and won over majority air superiority - meanwhile India had made gains in Punjab, countered the incursions in Kashmir and destroyed a half of Pakistan's armored corps.

I would say no one won. Although India had a slightly more favourable stance near the ending of the war; that situation would've quickly changed if the war continued.

Incidentally, since you mentioned the performance in the air, there is a story, never established in fact, about it. Apparently, during the Rann of Kutch incident early in 1965, Asghar Khan, then head of the PAF, and Arjan Singh had a quiet chat and agreed not to escalate the already pretty bad situation on the ground. Soon after this, Asghar Khan retired and his equally dynamic and charismatic successor, Nur Khan, took over. This would have been in or around July 1965. Arjan Singh assumed the pact held; Nur Khan had had nothing to do with it, and like any good chief, aware of the odds, pushed in a very heavy wave of strikes right at the outset. The IAF lost a number of planes on the ground because elementary precautions were not taken at the time, end August 1965, just as things were hotting up in Kashmir.

I first read this in the reminiscences of some senior Air Force officers, who had been posted at bases where the then base commander simply refused to take any protective measures until it was too late.

I highly doubt that; but even so - Pakistani pilots were better trained and more experinced. Even in air-to-air they were very much superior.

This was an interesting BBC interview to a group of Pakistani pilots who had just finished shooting down over a dozen Indian jets.

Pakistan was caught by surprise as they did not expect a full invasion of Pakistan by India. India attacked regions that Pakistan least expected to be attacked; this was credited to better tactics by better officers employed by the Indian military and deserves at least some praise.

But again; surprisingly - halved garrisons managed to halt the combined Indian invasions, all though the Indian forces had successfully captured some Pakistani territory; the conditions and circumstances for the Indian forces was looking bleak, if they'd stay any further - it would've turned into a logistical nightmare (similar to Napoleon's invasion of Russia).

Any strong counter-attack; and the Indian lines would've easily been broken. Reversing Indian gains and paving the way for an invasion of Indian Punjab. The Indian Army had gambled all it's momentum on Punjab; a short term victory but what would've turned into a long term defeat.

As Pakistan was slapped awake; massive reinforcements were grouping to counter-attack Indian forces in Pakistan. Not to mention: armed tribes from both sides of the Afghan-Pak border were preparing for an invasion of IOK.

Indian forces which were facing logistic problems and were completely worn out by stern resistance, wouldn't have stood against the upcoming counter-attack. What India spent most it's strength on, Pakistan was just warming up.

But would it be worth it? Pakistan knew, due to international pressure; it wouldn't be able to hold onto any territory in Indian Punjab and invading Kashmir in the current circumstances would be a huge gamble (risked further losing territory in Punjab).

By the time the arrow was drawn; the ceasefire was signed. Pakistan had successfully held off the Indian forces in Punjab and won over majority air superiority - meanwhile India had made gains in Punjab, countered the incursions in Kashmir and destroyed a half of Pakistan's armored corps.

I would say no one won. Although India had a slightly more favourable stance near the ending of the war; that situation would've quickly changed if the war continued.

I highly doubt that; but even so - Pakistani pilots were better trained and more experinced. Even in air-to-air they were very much superior.

This was an interesting BBC interview to a group of Pakistani pilots who had just finished shooting down over a dozen Indian jets.

Let me answer that in some detail, since you have outlined the course of the war succinctly.

As it happens, I have read this - several times, in fact, being a fan of sorts of Poona Horse and Col. Tarapore, and a great admirer of Lt. Khetrapal.

How does this in any way support your bragging statement? Have you read it yourself? The record reflects great credit on the regiment, and just two excerpts may suffice (the first excerpt has been summarised in many places already):

The battles of Libbe and Phillaurah ended with the destruction of a minimum of 50 enemy tanks, to nine of our own. These actions exploded the myth of the superiority of the Patton tank, whilst at the same time instilling in the enemy an awe and fear of the Centurion. However these successes were not immediately exploited. Further advance was halted and the Pak territory so far secured was systematically cleared of the enemy.

I am not an admirer of Brigadier K. K. Singh, whose excessive caution was responsible for allowing Pakistan's Iron Regiment, the 25th, to bluff him into slowing down and losing the opportunity for a breakthrough. But, for what it's worth, the next passage also contains his summation:

Pakistani propaganda had worked overtime to successfully convince its people that they had won major victories during the 1965 war. However, the truth could not be concealed for long. As Altaf Gauhar, Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in Field Marshal Ayub Khan’s government, states in his Foreword to Air Marshal M.Asghar Khans Book The Fist Round, “few people outside the armed forces realize how close Pakistan came to a disaster in the 1965war…” And the Poona Horse can proudly claim rather more than its fair share of this success achieved by the Indian Army. To quote the words of Brig K.K Singh, MVC, under whose command the Regiment fought; “The performance of the Poona Horse was beyond Praise”

It says, at the end of 1965 war - "On 14th September though still wounded he once again led his regiment to capture the second objective Waziwali. Such was his grit and determination that he undertook to lead his regiment once again and captured Hassoran and Butur Dorgandi (Pakistani Objectives) on 16th September his pivot and allowed the infantry to capture Chawinda with ease. With his inspired leadership the regiment destroyed 60 enemy tanks but alas the brave commanding officer could not hold till the last and was mortally wounded. Lieutenant Colonel AB Tarapore was awarded Param Vir Chakra posthumously for his qualities, grit and determination with disregard to personal safety. His name went down the pages of history of the Poona Horse also called as 17 Horse as the gallant commanding officer who led his regiment to victory on the battlegrounds of Phillora-Chawinda"

Poona Horse captured Phillora, Chawinda and shotdown heli carrying pak 15 inf Div GoC, killing him and the pilot. It then participated in 1971 war also.

@Sneaker

In particular, check the kill ratios, tank to tank.

Initially, the Pakistanis made the Indian army retreat to defensive positions to which then the Pakistanis advanced in an unsophisticated attack. This led to a large numebr of their vehicles being destroyed not just by RCL but mainly by the centurions.

If you are mentioning attack by PA 1st armoured Division in 1965, the need for infantry accompanying tanks was soon realised. But like in the posted video, infantry was not mechanized or motorized. Tanks always remained ahead of foot infantry.
Induction of M-113 has solved this issue.

First, let me apologise for closing this thread in order to do this post; it is in a way abuse of my power but I do it with the need to ensure that any further to & fro trades are done after reading this and done with measured responses. Perhaps I should make a new thread of this, but for now this will suffice.

Piecing the 1965 Indo-Pak war- A short hypothesis

Now, Pakistan has, is and will continue to be in a state of on and off hot and cold war with India. This forum is where we converse with our enemy just an many nations have with theirs on neutral ground since mankind learnt war.

The whole thread is based off the premise in what is clearly a propaganda film and hence is always going to have skewed facts and metrics. This is NO different than a propaganda film from India, Turkey, China or even the United States. What propaganda is and what it represents is better left for people of understanding to explore, appreciate and critique altogether and people of lesser understanding, dead faith along with patriotism(Bless you Samuel Johnson)
""In a time of war the nation is always of one mind, eager to hear something good of themselves and ill of the enemy. At this time the task of the news-writer is easy; they have nothing to do but to tell that a battle is expected, and afterwards that a battle has been fought, in which we and our friends, whether conquering or conquered, did all, and our enemies did nothing."

While many have written from both ends on the 65 war, any many "neutral" efforts have been made where the term "neutral" teeters on the fulcrum of available information, personal opinion and honesty of character of the narrator. So it is here that I decide to put my character to a meagre exercise of trying to piece together as to how and who did what in the 65 war.

The result of this is a rather different yet familiar narrative to what is taught in school to both sides of the border, yet conveniently leaves out the people factor. PDF(among other social media) is a farce when it comes to knowing about who lies on the other side of the border. One learns about a people by being with them, by eating with them, by talking to them in the same room, by sharing accommodation and chump change for food.
To make the post short, Ill try to sum up important points and I leave it to the readers to tear apart or appreciate as they wish. I would endeavour my best to name the sources but unlike many of our self proclaimed clergy in Pakistan; I cannot parrot out the exact paragraphs of books

From the earliest of understanding via hearing the conversations of elders in the TV lounge while I played with model airplanes, Kashmir solicited a rather vague narrative of how Kashmir was ours and India had captured it. With the textbooks of school it grew to how the Indians had manipulated a Hindu Raja to accede to them as he was losing his seat to a Massive muslim uprising within the princely state of Kashmir. Due to this unfair decision, Pakistani forces were sent to support the freedom fighters under the orders of Quaid-e-Azam even though the British C-in-C of the Pakistan Army would not fight ( why so much angst and blame was placed on the British officers is rather odd considering that anyone from the same country would be aghast at fighting their fellow countryman). The result was that if not for the UN ceasefire, the Kashmiri freedom forces would have overtaken the Raja and all of Kashmir would be Pakistan's. That is the crux of what was taught and while it evolved with greater details and changing pieces of the puzzle; besides numerical mentions of UN resolutions and its texts along with the newer textbooks pushing the "right of Kashmiri self-determination" instead of "Kashmiris want to be with Pakistan".. not much more is elucidated unless you are a student of social or political sciences( I wonder what they learn?).

So the lessons on Kashmir had to be self taught; from the autobiographies of seasoned diplomats to military veterans, on both sides. From the passionate and respected likes of Qudratullah Shahab to Isphanai to Zafrullah Khan, to books by veterans such as A.C Mansour Shah, Sajjad Haider, those by Shuja Nawaz and Maj. Amin. Books by Naul on personal accounts and then countless others by IFS have been skimmed through via visits to a certain Defence Housing Authority Library in Karachi.

The problem of Kashmir:

The greatest crime that the British committed during their years of rule on India was that they never treated it as part of their Empire and continued the approach taken by the EiC. Instead treating it as a gold mine for resources. That meant minimising losses whilst maximising profits. This meant trying to forge alliances of convenience wherever possible and planting toadies where they could. Kashmir was no exception.

As mentioned by others earlier in this thread, the land of Kashmir has evolved both in composition of its peoples and its geographic domain. The origin of Kashmiris associated less with races and more with geography. So whilst a resident of the vale of Kashmir would be aghast at acknowledging one from Mirpur as Kashmiri, they also do not acknowledge many others within the Vale as Kashmiri and identify them as belonging to Jammu. On the other hand, those that do identify themselves as Kashmiri are also not incorrect since the various rulers that have created and abolished administrative lines over their empire have all expanded and cropped areas under a singular nomenclature which has led to many more areas in the subcontinent with differing opinions on who really gets to use that moniker.

It is prudent then to skip the origins and demarcations of who is Kashmiri and who is not and concentrate on the Princely state of Kashmir and all those that resided in it; as Kashmiris. There was a Dogra Raja that ruled it courtesy of Ranjit Singh and essentially represented the people of Jammu rather than the entirety of his "state"(which interestingly was exactly a 100 years old at the time of partition). However, due to the nature of the valley and its previous history under Muslim rule as being a piece of land fairly less interested in who ruled it as long as business was usual( Hence the angst against the Sikh empire which tried to make up for its high expenses by raising taxes in the then resource rich valley along with their usual anti-muslim efforts to avenge the excesses of Aurangzeb). The Dogra's inherited this skewed distribution of wealth due to their Sikh benefactors, and therein lies the beginning of the problem of Kashmir and the root cause; economic inequality.

To be continued. Part 2.

And thus it became the objective? great logic...

ACM Nur Khan said it perfectly "Since the 1965 war was based on a big lie and was presented to the nation a great victory, the Army came to believe its own fiction and has used since, Ayub as its role model and therefore has continued to fight unwanted wars — the 1971 war and the Kargil fiasco in 1999."

Just a reminder about ACM Nur Khan before you even thinking of dismissing his views on the matter
Hilal-e-Jurat
Hilal-e-Shujaat
Hilal-e-Quaid-i-Azam
Sitara-e-Pakistan

PAF Base Chaklala was renamed as PAF Base Nur Khan in 2012

Well if you go for it numerous times, despite failing all those times, it's obviously the objective isn't it?

Rann of kutch is one part of whole of erstwhile kingdom of Kutch (or called Kuchch, Cuchch, Cutch sometimes). Since the king (or called Rao) acceded to India, there was no claim on kutch itself by pakistan.

You know what I meant.

First of all good to see that you are trying to explain your point...however would appreciate if you can also try and put yourself in my shoes..believe me i am trying my best as well...

Fair enough however how is it different from 65...if going after dhaka can actually damage Pakistan then why not in 65?? After all that was the intent..right?? Civil war or no Civil war...East pakistan was militarily a weaker target than west...do you agree??..if yes then why would be go after a formidable target vs a weaker target to begin with??

Fair enough..Dhaka was perhaps not as significant as lahore..however yet it resulted in full scale war with Pakistan and India managed to break the country into two...don't you think Dhaka was after all not that insignificant?? That brings to the original question...why not in 65...what changed in just 6 years?? As said civilian unrest was a perfect alibi to square the misdeeds of PA in 65...This talk about refugees straining us and all that are not the real reasons...if Pakistan can take millions of Afghan refugees for decades then hell India could have taken as well..no??

Hmmm fair enough...here is the explanation..We were finding it tough to hold you guys in kashmir...why because you caught us there pants down.....so we opened another front just to east the pressure...now that doesn't mean that we would have mind had Lahore/Sialkot and for that matter Rawalpindi/Islamabad had fallen...do you see the difference...The idea was to relieve onslaught and pressure in kashmir...Lahore/Sialkot was a prefect front..however Pakistan did a brilliant defense..nobody deny that....India was not that bothered because the real objective of saving kashmir had already been achieved..in other words my objective was achieved and thus have no reason to further up the ante...in short cease fire was not a problem....along with all other ridiculous and disgusting level of mistakes(or sins shall i say)...

Now given the military adventure was an abject failure however how on this earth you expect the same establishment to accept that they failed in their objective when 1 PA chap was equal to 20 baniyas?? They would not...It just didn't stop here...Siachen...kargil are some of the areas where your Army was found wanting...however how does the average Pakistani looks at it?? Baniya backstabbing and US winning kargil for India..Leave India aside...when US violates your air-space then it is due to cowardice of civilians...Do u see a pattern?? As explained to Joe earlier - all the miscalculations of civilian leaders are shielded from public in this part of the world...it took decades for masses to come to terms that Nehru was the real reason we got screwed in 61...similarly Army is shielded on your side...

Going after East and West at the same time in 65 would be a risk decision, again, it was only taken in 71 because East was in a civil war, and India was suffering because of the civil war in the East. Hence why the decision was made 6 years later, not in 65. Also, we did not do fine after taking in the Afghan refugees, just look at what's happened to us now because of it.

India was most certainly bothered about taking Lahore and Sialkot, you continued offensives right until we stopped you dead in your tracks. You could have easily defended Kashmir alone and applied minimal pressure on the Punjab, but instead you chose to try and take Lahore and Sialkot, I am sorry but I don't believe 800,000 troops would struggle against 200,000 troops if they chose to fight on the defensive.

As for US violating our airspace, their drones are operating with permission of the PA, it's only the government that whines.

Which you seem to be twisting, nay murdering in cold blood right? For a person who knows as much about military history as human beings know about origin of life, you are remarkably - remarkable!

I am not twisting anything, just because I don't fit your narrative doesn't mean they are twisted.

I hope you do realise that unlike your source being your second hand knowledge, you are actually engaged with people who have been on the ground and who are accepted by Pakistani seniors and professionals also as professional, right?

That being said, are you aware of the topography of the then CFL and adjoining areas in Kashmir, also the topographical layout of Area across IB in Jammu (you guys recognised it as IB in Karachi Agreement of 1948) and also military principles of siege in modern warfare?

Also, do you understand the concept of Node, Internode, GTI? Indeed, are you aware of the nuances of urban and built up area fighting?

If not, suggest read up/ask, understand and then re-engage.

So far, except for your observation on overall war of 1965 being a stalemate (but a political defeat for Pakistan due to non attainment of objective of Kashmir and relative 'victory' for India due to ability to defend Kashmir) and 1971 being a win for India, the rest of your history is seriously contorted and in need of life support measures at the earliest.

Thanks
!

I don't care what a persons status is on an online forum, it means nothing. Just because they have the word professional under name doesn't make them one.

As for 1965 being a "political defeat", we got any lost territory back through negotiations, so I can hardly see that as a political defeat, since your PM was so willing to do so.

India had no presence in the areas awarded to pakistan. Sardar post and Vighakot (awarded to India) was set up after pakistani presence was observed at kanjarkot (awarded to India later). All the places where skirmish took place are inside India (Kanjarkot, VighaKot, Briar bet). Chad Bet and one other place was awarded to pakistan where india had no presence. these were southern portion of Rann.

They were still disputed, so India setting up posts there would naturally trigger some sort of response from Pakistan, not saying it was the right response, but still a response none the less.

@dsr478

Your logic of getting your territory back is something like claiming Germany never lost World War Two, it exists today, economically the strongest EU member state. Are you really that naive or simply too daft to appreciate a counter narrative?

You are sounding exactly like some Indians who claim that China initiated the 1962 war and we won it too. There are idiots like that around aplenty, so one more wont be a surprise.

Anyways ours is not to convince you otherwise. You may continue in your fools paradise. It's yours after all.

@Oscar A great start. Looking forward to part 2. Request collate as a single piece if you are kind enough to take the trouble.

@Joe Shearer you were right about historians here. I give up

@dsr478

Your logic of getting your territory back is something like claiming Germany never lost World War Two, it exists today, economically the strongest EU member state. Are you really that naive or simply too daft to appreciate a counter narrative?

You are sounding exactly like some Indians who claim that China initiated the 1962 war and we won it too. There are idiots like that around aplenty, so one more wont be a surprise.

Anyways ours is not to convince you otherwise. You may continue in your fools paradise. It's yours after all.

@Oscar A great start sir. Looking forward to part 2. Request collate as a single piece if you are kind enough to take the trouble.

@Joe Shearer you were right about historians here. I give up

No, it's not like Germany in WW2, because your army was actually halted, the invasion was stopped, unlike in WW2 where Germany was overrun. And unlike Germany, we were not subject to Indian terms, if anything the terms of the ceasefire were more beneficial to us.

Your the only one living in fools paradise here, bitter truth that hurts, I know, but your going to have to accept it.

Good, give up. I don't really want to talk to you either.

To say we lost the war is silly, India didn't accomplish it's objectives either of taking Lahore or Sialkot.
the only objective of India was to ease the pressure in Kashmir .. where it was at disadvantage ! we achieved that perfectly.

the only objective of India was to ease the pressure in Kashmir .. where it was at disadvantage ! we achieved that perfectly.

False my friend, you clearly also tried to take Lahore and Sialkot but we put your hand invasion at a stop, so you didn't achieve your objectives either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom